Wednesday, July 04, 2007

One Shall Stand, One Shall Fall

I just got back from seeing the Transformers movie. All I have to say about that is, "Mr. Bay I am sorry for doubting you." This is what summer popcorn adventure movies are supposed to be. Simple, straight-forward action, driving music and just enough humor and light romance to keep it fun. And gigantic robots smashing the shit out of each other.

Personally, I have quite a history with the Transformers franchise. The first thing I ever purchased with my own money was a first generation Optimus Prime. I had to do chores at my father's truck shop for several weekends before I saved up enough money. $13.00 American. As with all children's fancies I eventually traded him for a new Rodimus Prime around the time of the first Transformers movie. Big mistake, Rodimus was never as much fun as Optimus.

I'm pretty sure I did more than my fair share of whining and wheedling whenever my mother got too close to the toy section, but my biggest showdown with my mom was over the Transformers movie. We were at a Jewel that had a video rental center towards the front of the store that was carrying the object of my desire. I don't recall the entire event completely, but I'm sure it went something like this. As my mother entered the cashiers line to pay for our daily bread when I began my attack. She was informed of the movie and just how important it was, but she resisted. As she packed up our groceries and moved out towards the door I realized the object of my desires was not in our possession, I became frantic. I remember stomping and crying and yelling that I was being abused and she probably didn't love me or care about me. She kept her will and I didn't get the movie that day, but I like to think I put up quite the scene. I have to admire her fortitude, I was quite the showman.

Autobots, transform and roll out.

Submit this story to DotNetKicks

0comments: