Thursday, April 26, 2007

Night Owl Gene Discovered (Maybe)

The British newspaper Telegraph reports that there may be an "after-hours gene". Basically this gene causes people to fall out of sync with the normal circadian cycle of being alert and awake during light hours and sleeping during darkness.

My wife and I have been night owls our entire lives. I've tried to fight it for years, but within 24 hours of not having to wake at a certain time for work I will lapse into going into a delayed sleeping pattern. And it's not long hours of sleep either, I go to sleep between 2-3 AM and naturally wake around 11 AM. Which puts me around 8-9 hours of sleep. I don't need an alarm clock and my activity level has very little effect. It's been that way for my entire life even during my youth or when I was extremely active and very fit. It's not caused by age or my current, fairly sedentary, lifestyle. My wife is the same, we're just a few hours out of sync I guess. Out of step with the world.

I don't know if I want to be labeled a 'night owl' though, maybe a 'night frog'?

Submit this story to DotNetKicks

0comments: