Thursday, April 19, 2007

Okay, a film, albeit highly-stylized, about an actual historical event is "moronic", a "sword'n'sandals" "dumb audience-friendly" romp.

Yet, a gimmick laden movie about strippers, zombies and psychotic stuntmen is to be considered high-art.

Hmm.

Let's compare the cultural contributions of Herodotus (Histories) and Frank Miller (The Dark Knight Returns, Sin City, 300, etc.).

To Quentin Tarantino (Pulp Fiction, Kill Bill, Grindhouse, etc.) and Robert Rodriguez (Desperado, From Dusk Till Dawn, etc.).

Hmm. Unless I think that the height of cultural contributions is clever, hipster, 70's references and cheesy faux-exploitation rip-offs then I think I'm going to just stick with being a fan of the "moronic" and "dumb".

Just because the director is a pretentious, eccentric weirdo does not make the film fine-art.

I wonder how much history information has been sought out due to the over-whelming intellectual stimulation of Grindhouse? I guess I missed the History Channel special.

Submit this story to DotNetKicks

0comments: